Shears for grooming dogs are sometimes better than clippers because, and especially for some breeds, clippers do not give an even trim. Also with shears, you have a greater degree of control over grooming than you’d have with clippers. Scissors and shears are therefore very useful for trimmer whiskers or stray hairs near the eyes, mouth, and nose and under the ears. Grooming shears are also much better than clippers when it comes to grooming an already well-groomed dog. In this guide, we will review some of the best and most affordable grooming shears for dogs. We will also cover some tips to help you select the best shears.
What to look for in dog grooming shears?
- Only use sharp scissors or shears. Never use dull blades. If your shears lose their sharpness, replace them otherwise they might bunch and pull your pet’s fur.
- Select grooming shears that are specifically made for dog/pet grooming.
- Affordable grooming shears for dogs sometimes come with a rounded tip for greater safety. These prevent injuries around the eyes and mouth.
- It is best to use lightweight shears so you have a greater degree of control when you work. This will also prevent wrist strain and hand pain when you have to work for hours.
Important factors to consider when using dog grooming shears
- Train your dog to stand or sit still when grooming.
- Avoid distractions like TV, phone etc when you are grooming.
- Make sure you place a finger between the shear and your dog’s skin. This is very important to avoid mishaps.
Advantages of scissors or grooming shears over clippers
- Clippers are noisy and they vibrate. Most dogs are not comfortable having vibrating and noisy clippers so close to their eyes or over their face.
- Dog grooming shears with rounded tips are safe and lightweight; they offer better control while trimming delicate areas.
- Affordable grooming shears are much cheaper than electric clippers and trimmers.
- Scissors and shears are also better for cleaning hair from between dog’s paws.
- Dogs with eye issues must always be kept hair-free around their eye area. Scissors and shears can help in such cases.
Steps to use shears for DIY dog grooming
Dog grooming shears are best used behind and around dog’s ears and eyes as well as other delicate areas. On the rest of the body, it is best to use a trimmer or clipper.
- Seat or stand your dog on a grooming table.
- Start by trimming the hair around the eyes. This will make your pet more comfortable too because he won’t be having hair covering its eyes.
- Use a comb to lift the hair up and assist you in trimming.
- If your dog is prone to tear stains, trim the hair under the eyes very short to reduce the problem.
- Use rounded tip shears and always point the shears away from your dog’s eyes as you work.
- You can also use shears or scissors behind your dog’s ears to trim the hair there. Finish by trimming the bottom of the ears. Position your fingers in such a way that the edges of the ears are protected as you trim excess hair under the ears.
Top 10 affordable grooming shears for pets
1. Conair Pro Dog Round Tip Shears for Home Dog Grooming
Conair is known for its wide range of grooming products for humans and pets. Their pro rounded-tip shears are lightweight and work well for trimming excess hair near the eyes, around the ears and in-between paws. They are safe yet perfectly sharp. The 6 inch shears are ideal groomer’s choice for grooming Shih Tzus, Pomeranians, Maltese, Cocker Spaniels and other long haired breeds.
- Comfortable handles have an ergonomic rubber coating.
- The blades are super sharp yet very quiet. Their muffled sound makes it perfect for dogs that hate noisy trimmers.
- Conair shears have rounded trips that will save doggy skin and eyeballs from injury.
- The sharpness lasts for years and years.
- Affordable price under $10.
- Thousands of positive reviews!
- Small finger holes make it uncomfortable for people with larger fingers.
- Some users may have got duplicate, cheaply made products which weren’t as sharp or efficient.
2. Livingo Professional Pet Grooming Shears for Dogs and Cats
Livingo® affordable shears come in a pack of 2 both with titanium coated safe rounded tips and micro serrations for precision grooming. They are perfect for trimming hair around ears, eyes, nose and paws.
- Livingo® shears are made with stainless steel blades and titanium coated tips. The micro serrations make it a breeze to trim short hair around the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Each set contains a pair of scissors both with 6.5 inches blade length.
- Ergonomically designed handles give comfort when grooming.
- Long lasting blades thanks to the titanium coating.
- Inexpensive and affordable-you get two high quality shears for less than $15.
- Ideal for grooming dogs and cats.
- Sharp enough to cut through heavily matted fur.
3. ERUW Dog Grooming Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Shears (Set of 4 shears that include Curved & Straight &Thinning Shears)
ERUW grooming kit consists of set of 4 shears packed in a beautiful case. These are professional quality shears which DIY groomers will love to use. So buy it for yourself or gift it to a pet lover!
- Rounded tips for enhanced safety. Nice and sharp blades.
- Sharp edged and durable shears made with stainless steel smooth blades that help reduce friction.
- Ideal for grooming dogs and cats.
- Ergonomically designed ring tail finger hole allows for long time grooming without discomfort or wrist pain.
- Affordable price under $30 (you get 4 shears); perfect for gifting or DIY home pet grooming.
- Not designed for left-handed users
- Slightly heavy, bulky and unwieldy for some users.
4. Gimars Heavy Duty Titanium Coated Pet Grooming Kit
When you buy Gimar® heavy duty pet grooming kit, you get 3 shears and a comb. Titanium coating and cold treatment imparts hardness and strength to these shears for long time grooming. Smooth and sharp blades are ideal for grooming dirty, matted, and thick double coats.
- High quality, great set of shears that is durable and efficient.
- Use these for grooming long haired breeds like Shih Tzus, Maltese etc.
- Many reviews claim these shears are ‘well made, cut well and priced affordably’.
- Affordable grooming kit under $25.
- Blades were a bit dull for some users and didn’t do the job properly.
- Some shears also fell apart.
5. Lily’s Pet Right Handed Grooming Shear
The right handed grooming shear from Lily’s Pet comes in different colors like rainbow, purple and black. It is made using high quality 6 Cr stainless steel blade.
- Rounded tip makes this pair ideal for trimming around nose, eyes etc.
- For most reviewers, these shears showed a high blade life and are long lasting durability for hundreds of haircuts.
- Ergonomically designed hand grip reduces labor intensity for the user while giving precision grooming without fatigue for hours.
- Affordable grooming shears below $10.
- For some users, the scissors were blunt and could not cut anything.
- Some even fell apart within a few months of use.
6. ChiBuy Professional Pet Grooming Scissors With round Tip
Chibuy range of grooming shears for pets consists of 6 different shears in varying prices. The most affordable shears in this range costs less than $10 with a length of 6.5 inches.
- Chibuy range of affordable grooming shears work very well and are suitable for grooming cats and dogs.
- You can easily trim the fur around your pet’s face and eyes. They are great for trimming the ears too.
- The circular arc design prevents accidents and injuries. You won’t have to worry about poking your pet thanks to the rounded tips.
- Chibuy shears are ergonomically designed and provide comfort to users for long term use.
- Smooth feel and comfort that gives you a great sense of grip.
- Some users found them big and bulky.
- For many users, the blades just bent the hair instead of cutting them. This led to pulling of fur.
- Screw holding the shears was also inefficient and could not be tightened.
7. BOSHEL Dog Grooming Scissors 2-set Shears for Trimming Hair Around Nose, Eyes etc
The dog grooming scissors from BOSHEL are super comfortable and this set of two shears can be used on your pet’s entire body. BOSHEL’s smaller scissor comes with serrations for trimming around the eyes, nose and mouth. The larger shears can be used over the pet’s belly, legs etc.
- You get two great scissors under $20.
- Both scissors are well made and long lasting.
- The handles are super comfortable and won’t cause pain or fatigue to your hands.
- BOSHEL has updated the screw design based on feedback from users.
For many users, the scissors fell apart within a couple of uses. Hopefully, the new and improved screw design overcomes this drawback.
8. PET MAGASIN 2 Pairs of Grooming Scissors for Body and Face Hair Trimming
PET MAGASIN grooming kit consists of 2 pairs of shears which respectively are 6.5 inches and 6 inches in length. The smaller pair has micro-serrations for trimming delicate fur around the eyes and face while the longer pair is ideal for trimming body hair.
- Safe due to rounded tips.
- Fine, precision quality surgical stainless steel blades for cutting through tangles and heavily matted fur.
- Cushioned handles and extra finger rest provides maximum comfort for working over long periods.
- More than 2000+ positive reviews on top retailer sites.
- For a small percentage of users, the scissors broke off after a few uses.
9. SCAREDY CUT Pet Grooming Scissors for Dogs and Cats
These ball tipped scissors come in different colors like blue, pink, green, yellow and black. Scaredy Cut scissors are useful around face, ears and delicate areas.
- Ideal for long grooming sessions.
- Micro-serrated grip offers better grip on fur for easy cutting.
- Company sends replacement pair should your scissors lose their sharpness.
- Ergonomic finger holes for better comfort
- More than 3000+positive reviews
- Affordable price of less than 10 USD
- Some users found it difficult to use.
- Screws holding the two blades tend to come off after few uses.
10. Hertzko Pet Grooming Scissor Set Pair of 2
Trim the fur on your rabbit, dog or cat using the Hertzko pet grooming kit. The two scissors include a pair for trimming fur on the body and the other for trimming facial fur.
- You get two efficient shears for less than $20.
- No more hand or wrist strain – use this shear for hours.
- 30 day replacement or money back guarantee.
- Nearly 200+ reviews from users on top retail sites.