Sometimes, the best way to name your dog is on its appearance. This is usually a good idea for those pet owners whose dogs have not yet revealed their personalities or characteristic traits. Naturally, you must keep it in mind that your dog will change in appearance as it grows older and very soon a name such as Furball may not be applicable to your large or giant breed. Having said so, dog names inspired by food generally suit most dogs. In fact; many millennial pet names have been inspired by Japanese and even Mexican food dishes! Here is a list of popular ‘food pet names’ for furry guys and gals.
Mexican food dog names
Burrito is a popular Mexican food so it is an ideal name for a Mexican dog breed. Chihuahua, Xoloitzcuintli and other mixes like Cheewie can be called Burrito, we think.
Dulce means ‘sweet’- a Mexican dessert served after the meal. This is an ideal name for a sweet little dog like a terrier, Chihu or even Shih Tzu. After all; sweets in Mexico can be enjoyed any time of the day! Lot of pet owners look for desert dog names and this is a popular one.
The word salsa is a mixed salad of sorts with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro etc. So Salsa is an ideal name for a dog with mixed personality traits.
Mexican dish with cooked meat rolled inside tortilla.
Short and sweet, we love this name. It is fun, easy to pronounce and a great name for a small or medium male dog.
Gordita is a small cake made with corn flour and stuffed with meat or veggie stuffing. In Spanish, Gordita means ‘little fat one’; an ideal name for a lazy, fat female dog.
Pronounced as ‘say-vee-chay’, this is a raw sea food item marinated with lemon juice. Ideal name for a sea food loving dog!
A funny Mexican food dog name; Pipian is a sauce made using pumpkin seeds usually served with burritos.
Japanese food names for dogs
Sushi is a highly popular Japanese dish; it is healthy, colorful and the word is easy to pronounce. Perhaps you could name your female Dachshund sushi owing to its cylindrical shape.
Maki-sushi is a popular Jap dish with rice, sea food etc. Cute name, we think!
Nori is Japanese seaweed. How is it for a dog name?
Miso soup is as important to the Japanese people as coffee is to the rest of the world. This fermented beverage is very healthy owing to probotics. Miso is a good Japanese food dog name for female and male dogs.
How about calling your sweet girl this? Yakitori is that category of Japanese grilled food such as poultry, sea food or meat grilled on bamboo skewers.
A crispy dish that is batter coated and deep fried- shrimp, vegetables etc. Tempura is stylish, fun and unique name for male or female dogs.
Cute name for male dogs, mochi means sticky, pounded Japanese rice.
Oden is the word for Japanese street food. Pet parents looking for fun, short and unique male dog names can try this one out.
Pronounced ‘saa-kay’, sake is Japanese alcoholic drink made from rice.
Noodle lovers will love this one! Soba is the name for slurpy, soupy Japanese noodles.
Another unique dog name, Yuba stands for the skin of tofu which tastes pretty much like mozzarella cheese.
Looking for coffee related dog names? How is Cappuccino? Perhaps a bit too long, we think.
Also known as Macchiato, this is coffee with foamed milk served in small sizes. So it is an ideal dog name for a small dog.
An Arabian, rich, strong coffee often made by mixing chocolate. Good name for a brown dog.
Popular dessert dog names
- Crumpet-This is a traditional English cake which is more or less like a chewy muffin.
- Crème This is a great name for a west Highland terrier.
50 More food inspired dog names
- Chow-mein-Chinese noodles. This is a great dog name inspired by food for a Chinese dog breed like SharPei.
- Crouton- A toasted herbed dried bread served with soups
- Falafel- ground chickpea balls deep fried and usually served with sesame/tahini sauce inside pita pockets or standalone.
- Fondue-French dish with melted cheese over spirit lamp served with bread
- Figgy-Christmassy pudding made with figs
- Pepero- Cookie stick dipped in chocolate
- Poolaki- A toffee like Iranian dessert which resembles a thin disc made using water, vinegar, sugar, flavoring, saffron, lemon or cocoa etc.
- Pringle-famous brand of chips.
- Quiche- Nice unique dog name
- Raisin (never feed raisins to dogs!)
- Schnitzel- German food
- Shrimp- for a small dog
- Sugar – good name for a cute female dog.
- Sundae-Sinfully delicious dessert; ice cream
- Taffy-Bite sized candy made with boiled sugar, molasses or fruit flavoring.
- Vodka-Good name for a pale/colorless or whitish dog.
Which of these dog names inspired by food do you love?