Dog dandruff, like human dandruff, is basically flaky skin and scabs. Dandruff in dogs occurs due to fungal infections, food allergies or sensitivities, and even due to environmental factors. For example, dog dandruff aggravates in winters when the surrounding air is dry and devoid of moisture. In some cases, dogs that aren’t groomed or bathed regularly may also develop dandruff.
In this guide, we will review some of the best dog shampoos available in the market to counter dry flaky skin and dandruff in dogs.
But first, a few home remedies and tips to help manage dog dandruff.
Brush your pet’s coat regularly
Regular grooming and bathing are of utmost importance to prevent dog dandruff and dry flaky skin and scabs. Brush your pet’s coat from time to time. Hairy breeds need to be brushed almost daily whereas dogs with short, single coats may be brushed once a week. Brush using a natural bristle brush. This helps stimulate the natural oils in the coat and keeps the hair smooth and glossy. Regular brushing also prevents mats and tangles in dogs with silky or fine coats. It is also essential to prevent ticks, fleas, mites, and other skin parasites in dogs.
Bathe your pet at least once a month
One of the best home remedies to prevent dog dandruff is to bathe your dog once a month. If your pet gets dirty in the mud or spends long hours outdoors or in the pool, then you may want to bathe him even more frequently. Use an anti-dandruff shampoo that seals and locks in the moisture in the skin to prevent further dryness, itching, flaking, and scabs.
Add healthy oils to his dog food
A diet deficient in omega 3 essential fatty acids is one of the major causes of canine dandruff. You can add omega 3 to your pet’s diet through foods like fish or even through supplements. I have written a detailed article on fish oil for dogs. Many dog foods are also fortified with fish oil. You can also add some safflower oil, coconut oil, or olive oil to your pet’s food. You can start seeing results in less than 3-4 weeks with daily fish oil administration.
Never use human shampoos
Human shampoos are not formulated for pets. They have a different pH which can throw off the pH balance of your dog’s skin. This can lead to itching, flaking, dry skin, and scabs. So only use vet-approved shampoos that are best for dog dandruff. We will soon review some of the best dog shampoos for dry flaky skin.
Use apple cider vinegar
Spray some diluted apple cider vinegar in your dog’s coat and brush the coat to spread the vinegar throughout. Also, add a few teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar to the pet’s drinking water. This reduces inflammation, balances pH of the skin, fights ringworm and fungal infections and gives your pet a softer, shinier, and healthier coat.
If these home remedies and the best dog shampoo for dandruff and dry flaky skin do not help, then take your pet to the vet immediately. Dandruff might be a result of a food allergy, a parasitic infection, or an internal disease.
Let us review some of the best dog dandruff shampoos on top retailer sites.
Shampoos for getting rid of dandruff and dry flaky skin on dogs
Earthbath all-natural oatmeal and aloe shampoo
Earthbath makes many different varieties of pet shampoos. The all-natural oatmeal shampoo for dog dandruff is soap-free, cruelty-free, and bio-degradable. It has a pleasant, mild scent and is safe, gentle, and pH balanced.
- Suitable for pets with sensitive skin.
- Contains oatmeal and aloe which soothe the itch and prevent dryness, flaking, and scabs.
- This highly recommended shampoo also contains tea tree oil which is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
- Ideal for dogs with severe allergies to grass, food, dirt, etc. The aloe heals skin infections and oatmeal prevents itching.
- Caused hot spots and severe hair loss in some pets. This is a rare occurrence.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care anti-parasitic, antiseborrheic, medicated shampoo for dogs
This is a highly rated dog shampoo for dandruff and other skin issues and it comes from a renowned company that makes vet-approved dog products. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care shampoo (available on Amazon and Walmart) is gentle and contains coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur. These ingredients hydrate dry, flaky skin and treat fungal, bacterial, and parasitic infections. The fast-acting shampoo works quickly and you will see results in less than 3 uses. Many vets recommend this gentle, fast-acting shampoo for all kinds of skin issues in dogs.
- Inexpensive dog shampoo.
- Contains soothing coconut oil apart from coal tar, sulfur, and salicylic acid.
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive skin, allergies, severe hair loss resulting from hot spots, mange, and ringworm.
- Caused chemical burns, red spots, and severe hair loss in some pets.
- Has a strong unpleasant scent that could cause vomiting in some pets.
- Do not get this product in your pet’s eyes. It can cause intense burning.
- Can burn human skin too.
Paws & Pals natural oatmeal shampoo with aloe vera
Paws & Pals oatmeal and aloe shampoo relieves dandruff and itch and has helped thousands of pet owners manage their dog’s dry, flaky skin. This is a high-quality, vegan shampoo that works well for the environment and your pet. It keeps your pet’s coat soft, smooth, and itch-free. The tear-free formula is made with gentle essential oils.
- This dog shampoo for dandruff and itchy skin is made in the USA.
- It smells fantastic and is suitable for dogs with sensitive skin, dry skin, and itchy skin.
- Paws & Pals dog dandruff shampoo will make your pet’s fur soft.
- Reduces itching.
- Ideal dog shampoo for all breeds like German Shepherds to Shih Tzu.
- Caused a rash in some pets.
- The shampoo led to breathing issues in some dogs
- Also caused a severe hair loss in some breeds.
Honeydew Pet Pleasant colloidal oatmeal shampoo
The colloidal oatmeal shampoo for dog dandruff and dry skin is made with gentle essential oils, oatmeal, and jojoba oil. It leaves your pet smelling fantastic and also keeps him free from the itch, flaking, scabs, and fungal/bacterial skin issues.
- This product is paraben-free and cruelty-free.
- Tear-free shampoo that is suitable for dogs with sensitive skin and allergies.
- Leaves your pet smelling great.
- Honeydew Pet Pleasant shampoo makes your dog’s fur soft, shiny, and smooth.
- A little goes a long way.
- It is rather easy to rinse out.
- Caused allergic reaction like itching in some pets.
- The bottle is hard and difficult to squeeze.
Pro Pet Works all-natural oatmeal shampoo with aloe for sensitive and allergic skin issues
Pro Pet Works has formulated this soothing, gentle dog dandruff shampoo with almond oil, aloe vera, oatmeal, and vitamins A, D, and E.
- Vet approved shampoo is made in the USA.
- Promotes soft, smooth, dandruff-free skin.
- Made with natural, organic ingredients
- Devoid of soap, alcohol, fragrance, parabens, artificial colors, toxins, or irritants
- More than 2000+ positive reviews at the time of writing this guide.
- Extremely drying on human hands
- Cause allergies in some dogs
- Led to severe hair fall.
- Has a strong cherry-strawberry scent which could irritate some animals.
Bodhi Dog all-natural anti-itch dog shampoo with oatmeal and baking soda
Bodhi dog anti-itch shampoo is made with oatmeal and baking soda. It neutralizes pet odor and also softens the coat. Bodhi Dog oatmeal shampoo is made for sensitive skin. It has a light apple scent that makes bath time fun for you and your dog.
- Thousands of pets have gotten an instant relief from itch with this spray-cum-shampoo.
- Smells great and is ideal for dogs with very sensitive skin.
- Showed no results in some pets.
- One dachshund had an allergic reaction to it and had to be put on steroids and antihistamines to counter the same.
As can be seen, there are many good dog shampoos for dandruff and dry skin. However, what works for one dog may not work for another. Always monitor your pet closely. You can also perform a patch test to ensure that your pet is not allergic to any ingredient in the chosen shampoo.