If you have pets, then you must install a pet door or dog door in your home so your beloved pet can come and go out as s/he pleases. There are many pet door brands available out there. However, not all of them work as well as intended. Many pet owners have had to deal with broken or noisy flaps, too small or too large openings, as well as broken locking dials and installation hassles. Then there is a concern of unwanted animals entering into your home thanks to dog doors that cannot be locked at night. Some dog doors end up needing tons of maintenance while others let in cold air inside your home in winters. If you are looking for energy efficient extreme weather dog door reviews, tips and installation guide, we have it all here for you….
Different types of dog doors
There are several different types of dog doors as follows:
- Dog doors for exterior doors
- Doors for sliding glass doors
- Dog doors for exterior walls
- Pet doors for screen doors
- Cat or dog doors for interior walls
- Wall mounted dog doors
- Large dog –dog doors for exterior doors made especially for large breeds
Advantages of using electronic dog doors
Here are some of the top advantages of using electronic dog doors:
- Dog doors give your pets freedom to go and come as they please.
- You need not leave doors open or make endless trips to let your pets out.
- Dog doors are useful for old and young pets that need to urinate frequently. You can prevent household accidents with them.
- Your pets won’t have to scratch doors to ask for entry or exit.
How to choose an extreme weather dog door
Choosing the right dog door can be difficult. Here are some things to consider:
- If you have more than one pet, choose a door that can accommodate the largest of them. Keep it wide enough for the largest pet and mount it low enough for the smallest one to get through easily.
- Avoid selecting a dog door larger than your pet actually needs. Too large an opening will require you to spend more than necessary on spare parts and also lead to overzealous behavior in pets.
- The flap size should be generous
- Ideally, the dog door should have an indestructible flap
- It must be simple to clean
- The flap should have a self closing mechanism
- There should be a weather seal to reduce draughts
- The flap should allow a noise-free entry/exit
- Should be easy to install as a DIY operation without need for special tools or equipment.
- Make sure that the dog door is designed for left or right hand sliding doors.
- Should be easy to remove in the future.
- Choose dog doors suitable for your home such as apartment, condo etc.
- Ideally select one that blends with your home’s architecture.
Size tips when choosing the best insulated dog door
An easy way to determine if the pet door is the correct size for your pet, you can open your sliding glass door or house door to the same width of the dog door you are about to install. If your pet is able to easily pass through the space, then the door is right for you. Do not worry about the height-you need to only measure your pet up to the head to ensure s/he can pass through comfortably and mount the door accordingly. In general:
- Keep opening ½ an inch wider than the width of your pet’s shoulder.
- For small or toy breeds-up to 4” across shoulders
- Beagles and poodles-8” across shoulders
- For medium breeds- Up to 11” across shoulders
- For large breeds like St. Bernard’s- 14”
To determine mounting height
The height of the dog door is important too. This is how you get it right:
- Bring your tallest pet to where you plan to mount the door.
- Make two markings on the door-installation surface that show the pet’s shoulder height and also the bottom of chest. This will ensure that the pet does not have to stoop or jump to enter/exit.
- In case you are installing the dog door on the main door of your house, ensure that it does not interfere with the knob. Also, the dog door should be located such that it is not easy for an intruder to access the door’s handle.
- Always add a deadbolt to the door on which you have decided to install a dog door.
Teaching your pets to use the dog door
This might take some time for your pet to get used to, but you need to teach it how to use the new door:
- Show your pet how to use the dog door.
- Place their favorite treat or use praise and rewards when teaching them how to use the pet door.
- Never push or force the pet through as they might get frightened and refuse to come near the door.
- You can raise the flap or remove the U-frame temporarily until your pet is comfortable in using the door.
Best insulated and energy efficient dog door reviews
Pet Safe Extreme Weather Dog Door
- Rating-At the time of writing this review, thousands of customers had given it a 4 star rating
- Price- $$
- This is an all-weather dog door with center insulated flap.
- It is available in three sizes, S, M and L
- Installation is easy.
- You can paint the plastic frame to make it suit your home décor.
- The door comes with an unique 3 flap system to increase energy efficiency.
PetSafe Dog Door for Sliding Doors
- Rating- At the time of writing this review, more than 2000 customers had given this a 4.5 star rating.
- This sliding dog and cat door is available in three different colors and 5 different sizes.
- If you are living in a rented apartment, this is the door for you; you can take it with you when you move.
- It gives controlled access to keep a check on your pet’s entry/exit.
- The door comes with strong aluminum frame and tempered glass.
- Can be easily and quickly removed.
High Tech Pet Electronic Dog Door
- Rating –More than 400 customer, at the time of writing this review, had given this a 4 star rating.
- This is the door for you if you are looking to buy the best electronic dog door. It provides a complete airtight seal and opens only when your pet is on direct approach. Thus, it will not open when your pet is simply wandering nearby.
- The door has an intelligent ultrasonic sensing collar.
- It comes in 2 sizes-medium and large.
- The door opens with ultrasonic collar around the pet’s neck. There is also a button you can use to open or close the door manually.
Ideal Pet Cat Flap Door
- Rating- Nearly 5 star by more than 800 customers at the time of writing this review
- Price- $-value for money. This is the best dog door for a reasonable price.
- Do not let the name of this dog door fool you- it is equally meant for dogs as much as it meant for cats.
- This low maintenance, made in USA, durable and weatherproof dog door is easily meant for dogs and cats as large as 12lbs.
- You can easily install it without compromising on energy efficiency or letting in draughts.
- Satisfied customers have even purchased two of these at a time!
- The doors can be locked.
BarksBar Plastic Dog Door
- Rating-5 star by more than 1200 people at the time of writing this review.
- Price- $ Affordable dog door below $30
- It has a soft flap, with 2- way locking sliding panel.
- You can easily use it for pets up to 40lbs
- The telescopic frame is easy to install within an hour
- This insulated dog door can be shut when there is no need for it so you can keep bugs, unwanted animals and draughts outside.
- Sturdy enough to withstand scratching, chewing and biting.
Dog doors can make your life easier. We hope this guide helps you purchase the right one!
If you enjoyed reading this post, tell me about it, so I can create more guides like this for you.