One of the important aspects of dog grooming is trimming the nails. Nail trimmers or nail clippers for dogs are readily available and they do a great job in keeping your pet’s nails short and clean. If your dog regularly walks on tarred surfaces, then there is a good chance that he does not need too much nail trimming. However, if your pet is a couch potato, or only walks on soft surfaces (or uses other forms of exercise other than walking/trekking), then regular nail trimming is a must.
In this guide, we will discuss the best nail clippers, nail trimmers, and nail grinders for dogs.
How to select the right nail clipper or trimmer
Different types of nail trimmers
Nail clippers fall in two broad categories: the guillotine type and the scissor type. As the names suggest, the clippers are either shaped like a guillotine or like a pair of scissors. The former has an opening where you place your dog’s nail on and the sharp blade slides across to cut the nail. In the scissor type of trimmer, there are two blades that cut the nails from both sides.
There is a third type of nail grooming accessory called the nail grinder. Many pet parents are not comfortable clipping nails and they use a nail grinder to grind down their pets’ nails. Local pet stores and online retail sites carry nail grinders. However, please ask a professional groomer or a vet about the proper method of using a nail grinder.
Post clipping or trimming, you can also use an emery board to file-off rough edges of your pet’s nails.
If you have never clipped your dog’s nails before, it is best that you take your pet to the vet or the groomer. Dogs have a delicate part (known as the quick) under the nail and if you end up hurting it, your dog could bleed profusely. So, only clip the tips of your dog’s nails if you are unsure where the quick is located.
Is one type of nail clipper better than the other?
There are many fancy dog nail clippers available these days. Some come with a sensor or a light that indicates if you have gone in too deep, so as to prevent injuring your pet. It is really a matter of personal selection. If you are an experienced groomer, you can easily select a good quality groomer that you are comfortable with to clip and trim your buddy’s nails from time to time.
Whatever choice you make, it is important that you are comfortable with the device and that you can grip it properly. Also, please ensure that the blades of the device are sharp because dull blades need more effort to handle and can also injure or hurt your pet. A good clipper with the right sharpness of blades will clip the nails without pinching.
Best nail trimmers for dogs
1. BOSHEL nail clipper
Boshel nail clipper is a vet-approved and professional-groomer recommended dog nail clipper. It comes with a ‘safety stop’ that helps prevent injuries. It’s razor-sharp blades also prevent pinching or injuring your pet as they cut quickly. Boshel nail clippers also have ergonomically designed handles that will not slip. There is a nail file included with the clipper which can be easily stored in the trimmer’s handle itself.
- Thousands of happy customers and positive reviews
- Clean cuts each time
- User-friendly design
- Safety stop or ‘quick’ sensor to prevent injuries
- Free nail file included for trimming rough edges of clipped nails
- Low noise levels
- Easy to hold, maneuver, and use
- Tend to cause splits in the nails or crushed some pet nails.
- Some users also received very dull blades that hurt their dogs.
2. Gonicc painless nail clippers
Gonicc nail clippers and trimmers also come with a sensor and guard to prevent injuring the pet’s quick. It can be used on small and large dog breeds and comes with a comfortable, ergonomically designed handle. Gonicc nail trimmers also come with lock protection to prevent young kids from misusing the clippers. These safety nail clippers come with a lifetime warranty so you can return or exchange the product at any time.
- Lightweight pair of clippers that are easy to maneuver. It can even be used with one hand.
- Low noise level
- Easy to hold
- Thousands of happy customers
- Can be used on small and large dogs
- Blades tend to get dull after a few uses.
3. EPICA dog nail clippers
Epica dog nail clippers are one of the top-rated, foolproof dog nail clippers in the market. They come in two sizes: for small/medium breeds and for the larger breeds. Safety features of Epica dog nail clippers are very well thought of: they have a lock feature for when the unit is not in use, and the circular blade allows your pet’s nails to rest comfortably before the quick so that there is no guesswork needed. The rubber-coated handles offer a firm grip and you need not squeeze too hard to get the job done.
- Safe and secure
- Rubber coated handles
- Easy to hold, use, and maneuver
- Low noise level
- Could splinter nails
- Not made in the US
4. All-Star Innovations Peti-Care with LED Light
Peti-Care eases the task of pet nail trimming as it comes with LED light sensor that shows you where the ‘quick’ is. It also has a magnifying glass to magnify the nail and the delicate bloodline in light and black nails. This makes nail trimming easy and safe. There is also a trapper or nail catcher for easy cleanup. Peti-Care nail clipper can be used on cats and dogs.
- The light illuminates the blood-filled quick to prevent injuries
- 5-times magnification lets you clearly see what you are doing
- Nail trapper area catches flying debris and prevents nails from falling everywhere
- Ergonomically designed handle helps keep a firm grip.
- Value for money
- Safe for use on black nails too
- Magnifier gets in the way of cutting the nails
- Some units weren’t sharp enough; many blades lost their sharpness after a while
- Leads to jagged nails.
5. GoPets nail clippers
Gopets nail clippers have received thousands of positive reviews from the users. They are being called the best-selling nail-clippers for dogs and cats on top retailer sites. The thick stainless steel blade offers a clean cut every time. Safe, easy to use, and offers a clean-cut each time. The company also offers a replacement or refund-no questions asked!
- One of the top vet-recommended dog nail trimmers
- Heavy-duty blade ensures a clean cut every time
- Stellar safety features
- High-quality nail trimmer that is beneficial for thicker nails, delicate nails, white and black nails as well.
- Easy to hold and maneuver
- Clippers tend to lock
- Guard is not accurate and for certain breeds, it could hurt the quick
- Misalignment between the cutting surfaces tends to splinter and crush nails
- Need some force for cutting and that could crush the nails instead of cutting them
6. Dremel pet nail groomer and grinder
This is a rotary tool that grinds the pet’s nails instead of cutting or crushing. Dremel pet nail grinder takes away the guesswork of nail cutting and makes sure your pet remains safe during grooming. The grinder can operate on two different speeds so you can grind your pet’s nails in stages and yet is lightweight enough to ensure that you are fully in control at both the speeds. When fully charged, the Dremel pet nail groomer battery can work for up to 3 hours.
- Easy to hold, use, maneuver
- Low noise level, so your pets won’t be frightened.
- Works on thick nails and black nails too
- The instruction manual is not easy to follow
- Getting the file accessory inside the collet nut isn’t easy.
- Slow speed; it takes forever to trim all of the nails. Thus, unsuitable for people with more than one pet.
- At a higher setting, the unit tends to heat up and could cause burns. It also tends to become noisier.
- The cost of replacing the battery and charger is higher than buying a new unit.
- Many users had to buy extra collect nuts and accessories.
7. Casfuy dog nail grinder 2-speed rechargeable painless pet nail grooming tool
Casuy is another top-rated nail grinding tool. It offers safe, precise, and effective nail grooming for small, medium, and large dogs. It has an advanced 2-speed switch and operates with very little noise and vibration. Casfuy dog nail grinder is also portable and comes with a light to show when it needs recharging.
- Very easy to use, comfortable to hold and maneuver
- Comes highly recommended with thousands of positive reviews and ratings
- There are detailed instructions on how to use the dog nail grinder
- Can also be safely used on cats
- You can charge the device with your phone, a power bank, etc.
- Some pets tend to get scared by the grinder’s noise
8. Safari dog nail clippers
Safari dog nail clippers are sharp, well-made, and ergonomically designed clippers for regular trimming. They are one of the top-rated dog nail clippers in the market.
- Easy to hold, use, and maneuver
- Cuts clean, no crushing of nails
- Spring-loaded clippers offer just the right tension
- Safety feature ensures you do not cut too much of the nail and harm the quick
- May require a lot of pressure to get the job done
- Not suitable for cats and kittens
- Blades tend to rust after a while.
As you can see, there are many dog nail trimmers, clippers, and grinders in the market. We hope these reviews help you choose a tool that both you and your pets are comfortable with.