If you love big dogs with lots of power and stamina, then the Rottweiler dog breed is right for you. This herding breed makes a great family pet and if you train him right, he will socialize and get along well with every family member. Rotts are excellent guard dogs that have been used by the military and police as well as by people who need service dogs. Let us take a look at important Rottweiler facts that can help you make your choice.
- They are large black with tan markings; heavy dogs with small ears folded on the head
- Most are born with no tail though some tend to have a small one.
- Height and Rottweiler Weight-Males stand between 25-27 inches while females between 22 and 25 inches from ground to top of shoulders. Males weigh up to 135 lbs whereas females up to 80-100 lbs.
- They have a short neat coat which is attractive and does not collect dirt easily. They do not require too much grooming-5-10 minutes of brushing per week with once a month bath is usually enough for them.
Rottweiler dog price
As is the case with many things in life; with a Rottweiler puppy, you get what you pay for. Many people have exploited this breed into guard dogs, especially those looking to make money off them. So, many of these bargain puppies sell for $200- you might see advertisements in the newspapers. However, with bargain pups, you never know what you might get. Poorly bred Rott pups are often light eyed, longer muzzled and leggy. You cannot expect them to develop a beautiful black and mahogany coat that you see at dog shows. Buying cheaper puppies from untested stocks can also cause you to end up paying more for health issues. Hip dysplasia is a serious health issue in Rottweiler pups bred haphazardly. SO make sure you buy from a reputed breeder-ones involved in dog shows and events or are members of the National Rottweiler clubs etc.
This dog breed needs to be trained from an early age. Being herding dogs, they tend to nip you sometimes in order to ‘herd’ you in the right direction. You certainly do not want this large dog to think it is the alpha! So make sure you teach your Rott puppy basic commands and obedience training.
When you go to buy your puppy or an older dog, avoid ones that appear nervous or fearful. These Rotts can be extremely aggressive. This is one more reason you should avoid buying your pet from puppy mills and pet stores because their dealers are not concerned about their temperament at all. Do ensure that you meet both parents of your puppy and that they are both of sterling characters.
- They have descended nearly 2000 years ago from the Roman bred mastiff crossed with Rottweil herding dogs from Germany.
- In the early 1900s, the Rottweiler was one of the 4 breeds used for German police work.
- If properly trained, Rottweiler dogs are dependable, lovable and obedient.
- Rottweiler dogs are among the top 10 most intelligent breeds.
- The more time your Rottweiler puppies spend with other puppies and people, the better they will be at socializing when they grow up.
- Rotts are territorial and do not take it kindly to strangers invading their space.
- They do not like being left alone and can get depressed. This depressive personality can quickly turn destructive-so keep your puppy busy.
- If they see you or a family member in danger- they will attack! Their protective personality kicks in and they will not hesitate to jump into a dangerous situation.
- Rottweilers have a formidable reputation that will keep burglars as well as friends and family members away from your home! So be prepared to train you pet so you can demonstrate his loving, sweet and gentle personality to your loved ones.
- The steady, serious stare used by this breed is useful for herding livestock but can also intimidate people!
Training your puppy
This fiercely independent dog breed is often mistaken to be stubborn. But this is an erroneous assumption. They are not stubborn but persistent and determined. Therefore, you need consistency in training them. Since they are among the top 10 most intelligent breeds, they are easily trained.
What to feed your Rottweiler
Select a dog food that is nutritionally balanced and complete. Avoid overfeeding as this breed tends to gain weight easily which could lead to problems like hip dysplasia.
Rottweiler dogs can make a great addition to your home. Check out our naming guide to find a suitable name for your new pet!