So you just got your new pup and you want to give him a unique dog name but nothing too weird? There are many methods to figuring out what to name your dog, beginning with physical characteristics and appearances, gender and personality traits, but ultimately, naming your dog should be a well thought out process. Be sure to not only focus on their physical traits, but give them a name based on their whole character.
Finding a unique name for your dog can be very challenging, especially if you want their names to be ideal for their sizes, but there is a method that can be used to select names for your new puppy. Smaller dogs such as teacups and toy dogs may be more difficult to name, but larger dogs tend to be easier to name. The name of your dog also depends on their personality and temperament, so here are some methods for how to name your new puppy.
Methods to name Your New Dog
- Pay attention to their personality – Understanding your dog’s personality can reduce the naming process significantly by providing ideas on the spot. There are a number of dogs such as Chihuahua mixed breeds and toy sized pups that tend to be a little more on the sassy side despite their small frames. This makes them easier to name. For example, a rowdy toy sized cup could simply be called sassy, feisty or burn because of the bite in their bark.
In this same way, larger dogs with calm and docile personalities such as the German Shepherd could be given names that speak to his character. These dogs could be called names like Candy because of their sweetness or Care Bear because of their caring abilities.
- Think back to your childhood & interests – If you are a person who always wanted your own dog, then you may already have names and ideas of names in memory. You can also name your pup based on your interests, which would highlight to anyone who hears that you have a special bond with your new dog.
Persons naming their dog based on interest may tap into things like books, tv shows, religion, comics among other things. For example, a Harry Potter lover may name their dog Dumble, short for Dumbledore, or an Avatar lover my name their dog Oppa to show how special he is to him.
- Name them based on appearances – This may seem obvious but appearances and physical traits are great ways to name your dog, but try not to do the obvious colour selections, or you may end up with a common name instead of a unique one. For example, instead of naming your new pup Blondie or Fluff, you can name them something a bit more specific such as Blond Ranger or Ted.
Appearance isn’t just limited to coat colour and textures though. You can name your dog based on any physical trait that stand out to you, such as their heads, stature, tail, ears or eyes.
Unique Dog Names for Small Dogs
Small dogs tend to get stuck with common names such as peewie or teeny tot based on their size but they are so much more than just a small dog. They have their own characteristics and individual personalities, and they deserve well thought out and personalized names like their larger counterparts, so here are 3 unique names for small dogs that can be used to highlight their individuality.
- Burn – This name is perfect for the bulldog in a small body, and can be used for sassy and protective but tiny pups. This unique dog name is also sure to evoke a natural interest in your dog by anyone who hears it, and also acts as a warning sign for those who underestimate your pup’s ferocity.
- Cuddle – This name is ideal for small dogs who love to snuggle up with their owners whether on the couch or as lap dogs. It is also perfect for small dogs who are docile and calm, and who enjoy a laid back life or apartment living.
- Ace – This name is perfect for a little guy that falls somewhere in the middle; they enjoy cuddles and snuggling up with their owners but are also feisty and very active little pups. This name is ideal for dogs with a cool laid back personality who are also very loyal and protective of their owners.
Unique Dog Names for Large Dogs
Large dogs sadly can also be caught in the spectrum of just being thrown a name, but they too deserve well thought out and personalized names based on their characters and personality. Many large dogs fall into the list of popular dog names and can be named by the owner before adoption, but here are 3 names for your large puppy that you will rarely hear anywhere else.
- Galaxy – While this specifically speaks to the size of your pup, it can also be used to represent their unbelievable brilliance or protectiveness. This name speaks to the beauty of your pup in all aspects, from his appearance to his naturally loyal and caring personality.
- Pablo – This unique dog name tends to turn a lot of heads, as the drug cartel Pablo Escobar has made it relatively infamous, but this name will be perfect and unique for your new pup. Despite its negative connotation, Pablo can mean whatever you want it to mean to both you and your new puppy.
- Goliath – A biblically known historical figure, Goliath represents a giant in its biggest forms. This name speaks to the size, personality and mind of your new puppy, and will normally be very rarely used by anyone else.
Naming a new puppy can be a very difficult process, but once you use these methods, that struggle can turn to ease very quickly. If none of the names above work for you, here are a few more unique dog names that you can uses for your new companion. Happy naming!