There are very few milestones in a dog’s life, but one thing that should be marked is the moment they get their name. Many dog owners have a lot of problems when it comes to naming their pup, and having a Yorkshire Terrier doesn’t make the process much easier. Yorkies are generally known for their high energy and warm personality in their tiny little bodies, which generally brings lots of joy to their owners and others around. This personality trait may help with the naming process, but if you’re stuck trying to come up with Yorkie names for your new pup, here are a few that may be perfect.
Yorkie Names based on Character
There are few things more distinctive and exciting about a Yorkshire Terrier than their personality. Yorkies tend to be very intelligent and curious, and are very inquisitive. They normally get along well with other pets, but are not afraid to let their voices be heard. Yorkies generally are very protective despite their small size, and will alert you as soon as an intruder is present. They are also very loyal and trustworthy, and enjoy spending lots of time, whether playing or relaxing, with their owners. Based on these traits, here are few Yorkie names that may be perfect for your new Yorkshire Terrier.
Yorkie Names based on Size
Yorkies are known for their small bodies everywhere they go, and have been played in the category of Teddy Bear dogs because of this feature. They are generally very small, weighing no more than seven pounds and no less than four pounds, and standing at ranges from eight to nine inches. These pups tend to very inconsistent in size, which means no two Yorkies will grow and develop the same, and may be surprisingly different when fully grown. Yorkies however tend to be easily named when it comes to basing their names off their small size. If you’re yet to come up with the ideal name for your new pup, here are a couple dog names that may be suitable.
Yorkie Names based on Gender (Female)
Gender is an important factor when it comes to naming your pup, and gives you a highlight into narrowing down your decision. Many female dogs already have a preset list of names that are very popular, which makes finding a unique name for your pup even harder. If your new Yorkie is a female, here are a couple of names that are sure to be perfect.
Yorkie Names based on Gender (Male)
When it comes to finding a name for your male best friend, it’s best to search for something that represents their character very well. Though Yorkshire Terriers tend to be very small, they are very feisty which makes certain names perfect for their personality. If you’re still stuck on finding names for your pet, here are a couple that are sure to get you started right away.
There are many different factors that can help you to name your Yorkie or any dog in general. They can be related to your pup or completely different, but either way, ensure that the name you come up with has sentimental value for both you and your pup. If you’re still trying to figure out a name for your pup, hre are a few Yorkie fun facts that may help you to make up your mind.
Yorkshire Terrier Fun Facts
- Yorkies were originally bred as a working dog, used to chase rats and other small animals. Because of this they were known as “ratters.” It was not until the Victorian Era that Yorkies became a luxury dog, as upper class members of the hierarchy and Royals took an interest in this pet.
- Yorkies take their feisty personality from their purebred Terrier parents, and are also known to be somewhat stubborn and cocky creatures.
- Yorkies tend to be very social dogs that love to interact with their owners and members of the family. Because of this, it is not advisable that Yorkshire Terriers be left alone for extended periods of time, as they may become agitated, anxious and may even start displaying destructive behaviours. These include excessive barking and chewing.
- Many experts state that Yorkie puppies are so fragile and tender, that they should be treated the same or similar to newborn human babies when it comes to care.
- Because of their perceived stubbornness, many owners refrain from trying to train their Yorkie in any way but these pups are actually very intelligent and trainable. The trick is to ensure that you keep the Yorkie training sessions short, so as to keep their attention, and to use reward based training sessions.
- Yorkies are ranked the most popular dog in the “Toy” dog group, and are ranked the sixth most popular dog in all of the United States, according to the American Kennel Club.
- Yorkshire Terriers are very popular when it comes to creating more designer dogs. Yorkies have been crossbred to make the Chorkie (Chihuahua and Yorkie combination), the Morkie (Maltese and Yorkie combination), the Yorkie Poo (Yorkie and Poodle combination), and the Corkie (Cocker Spaniel and Yorkie combination).
- Yorkies are very popular celebrity pups, with quite a number of these dogs becoming famous like their owners. Actresses, singers and athletes such as Hilary Duff, Missy Elliott, Tom Brady and Britney Spears were all owners of Yorkshire Terriers.
Naming a dog is no easy feat, especially if you’re aiming for a title that is both unique and fitting. It is also not impossible, and though the process may get long and tedious, it is completely worth it when you find the perfect name for your new pup. The list above should be helpful in trying to find your pup’s name, but if not, keep searching for the perfect name for your Yorkshire Terrier. You will find it.