All dogs shed. Dogs with short coats are the wash-and-wear breeds; they do not need too much bathing and are usually least grooming-intensive unlike their long haired counterparts. However, that does not in any way mean that these dogs are low-maintenance. You might think your troubles are over as far as shedding goes if you own a short coat breed. After all, short hair means lesser hair on your clothes and furniture, right? Wrong! If you have ever owned a short haired dog like a Labrador or Dachshund, then you know that these breeds can shed profusely. So in this guide, I will be talking about best dog brush for a short hair Chihuahua, Dachshund, and professional dog grooming brushes for other short haired breeds.
Why does your short hair dog need regular brushing?
Just because your dog has a short coat, does not mean you should not brush him/her. Many breeds have an undercoat which sheds seasonally and can produce so much hair; you could literally weave a sweater out of it! Thankfully, short coat dogs can be groomed fairly easily as their coats are not prone to tangles and mats unlike the medium coat or long haired breeds.
How to brush your short haired dog
- Use a hound glove to give your pet a good rub down.
- If you use a curry brush, always brush in the grain of the hair (the way it grows).
- Use a flea comb from time to time to catch fleas and ticks.
- Finish the grooming with a hound glove.
Check out my other article on Best shampoos and grooming brushes here.
How to brush medium hair dogs
I have recommended the best dog brush for German Shepherds and other medium coats later in this guide.
- Look for tangles and mats first. Remove them with detangler solution or use a medium tooted comb.
- Next, use a slicker brush to remove loose hair. This also removes tangles and stray hairs.
- Go over the coat with a flea comb to look for fleas and ticks.
- Make sure there are no more tangles forming-this happens in medium coated dogs.
- Use electric clippers with number 10 blade to trim hair between paw blades.
Best Dog Brush for Short Hair Shedding
1. DakPets Deshedding Brush for Shorthaired Dogs Shedding
- At the time of writing this review, DakPets Deshedding Brush had more than 10,000 happy customers.
- This tool can also be used for short, medium and long fur dogs or cats.
- It is scientifically proven to reduce 95% of hair shedding on your furniture and clothing.
- DakPets grooming brush is the best dog brush for short hair Chihuahua, short-hair Dachshund and for Labs. It can also be used for German Shepherds and other breeds.
- With regular use, you can prevent allergies in your dog or cat and can also save hundreds of dollars on professional pet grooming.
- DakPets happy customers believe that the tool prevents molting and damaging topcoat and promotes soft, smooth and parasite-free skin and coat by promoting blood circulation.
- With every stroke, hair flies in all directions.
- Some users feel that the brush just loosens hair. You still need to comb, brush or pet to get all of the hair.
- Many pets did not like the tool.
2. Furminator Deshedding tool
- At the time of writing this review, the Furminator had more than 13,000 positive reviews on a popular retailer website.
- It is ideal for short coat Labs, Chihuahua, and Dachshund as well as medium coated breeds like German Shepherds, etc. Likewise, it has received stellar reviews from owners of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Australian Collies who are thrilled with it.
- The push button on the unit makes hair removal easy.
- Get relief from dog hair all over your clothes and furniture. Use the tool before bathing your pet so as to reduce clogged up drains and baths.
- This amazing product works for cats too.
- Reduces shedding and makes grooming long, medium and short haired breeds a breeze.
- You can also use it after bathing your pet. Make sure its coat is completely dry first.
3. ThunderPaws Professional De-Shedding Brush for Short, Medium and Long Haired Pets
- The ThunderPaws grooming tool is actually designed and used by professionals.
- It comes with an ergonomic design that makes grooming short, medium or long haired dogs and cats easy. Blades are designed with pet’s wellness in mind.
- The tool promises to reduce shedding by over 90%.
- ThunderPaws grooming tool has detachable handle and comb. There is a release button which removes the stuck hair easily.
- Comes with warranty and 90 day money back guarantee.
- More than 500 five star ratings (at the time of writing this).
- Half the price of popular deshedding brushes out there.
4. HappyDogz Pet Grooming Brush for Short to Long Haired Pets
- More than 2000 top reviews at the time of writing this.
- Guaranteed to reduce loose hair and shedding by 95%. Pets will have a shinier coat.
- Comes in 2 sizes-for small to medium and medium to large dogs.
- Tested and proven to be gentle on your pet’s skin.
- Suitable for cats, dogs and other pet animals with different hair size and coat types.
- Ergonomic handle, strong brush and detachable blades for easy hair removal.
5. Pecute Deshedding Brush for Short Medium or Long Hair
- This is a curved brush which makes grooming easy for short, medium or long haired dogs and cats. You can also use it for grooming rabbits. There is a 3 inch brush from this manufacturer for short haired dogs and cats.
- It is also self cleaning and comes with a push button to remove caught hair.
- The sharp and narrow teeth are ideal for eliminating detached hair and undercoat which helps reduce 95% hair fall.
- Material used for making the handle and the grooming tips are both great quality.
We hope you can make an informed choice now that you know the best dog brushes and deshedding tools for short or medium haired dogs shedding.