If you know how to trim your dog’s hair at home, you are a perfect dog owner, and if not you can learn. Most dog owners don’t have patience or time to tackle their monster at home, so they leave this tough job to professional groomers. Haircut is something that requires basic know-how knowledge. However, for the dogs with long hair, you have to be little more experienced.
The best thing to keep your pet happy and groomed is to keep his coat clean and brushed with no mats and tangles. Depending on your dog’s coat, you should know the right haircut and equipment.
Your dog’s coat should be thoroughly brushed before clipping or trimming. It is very important to invest in a good quality brush and comb to get rid of any tangles or dead coat. A slicker brush, pin brush, de-shedding tool, stripper or a comb can do the job. You can choose any of them as per your dog’s needs.
Dogs mostly have areas that should be scissored, thus proper hair cutting can groom them. Just the right pair of scissors and you’re done. Here are few scissors you can try:
● Straight grooming scissors: These are the most popular and the first preference of every dog owner. These scissors have various blades of different lengths that are specially designed for longer hair. You can choose the one as per your dog’s coat.
● Thinning scissors: These scissors are used to trim down thick coat at your pet’s body. They feature fine tooth blade and cutting blade to trim hair with ease. These blades, rather than cutting out, remove some hair making them thin. They are also used to shape dissimilar length of fur.
● Curved scissors: The curved scissors are slightly curved from the tip. They are used to easily trim and shape different furs that are contouring your dog’s body.
● Metal comb: Metal combs are heavy, rugged combs that are only used for detangling and taking out knots from the pet’s coat. They are rust free and are durable.
● Rounded Tipped: If you want to cut specific areas from your dog’s coat, you can try these scissors. They are best for cutting hair from paws and face.
Apart from scissors and brushes, you will also need:
Clippers are used to clip extra hairs that are falling in your dog’s eyes. Although you can use human clippers, a dog’s clippers can fulfil your pet’s needs. If you have a dog that has long hair, buy some good quality and durable clippers. Cheap clippers are not durable and will pull out your dog’s hair and cause pain.
Although you can clip your dog’s hair without grooming table, there are dogs that require more precision for a perfect look. And for them, a grooming table is must. It not only takes the dog to your reach but will also keep them at one place.
Clipper oil or coolant
Get yourself some clipper oil that you can spray on your dog to keep hair at place. You can spray them at cutting blades to kill any fungus or bacteria that might stick to the blades.
Safety measures to take care of
It is very important to keep your dog safe while cutting its hair. Don’t worry about the coat, it will grow; ensure your pet’s safety. Divide the complete process into four steps and go slowly:
Plan how you want your dog to look. If you are unsure about the style that will suit your pooch, do some research; know your pet’s coat and then start trimming. Also, decide which area you want to start from. It is good to start trimming from the neck and then move towards the legs.
Now that you know which hairstyle you want for your dog, brush them thoroughly before cutting. Brushing will remove dead coat as well as knots from the fur. You can choose brush as per your dog’s needs. Short haired dogs need short brushes while hard brushes are good for long, shabby haired dogs.
Arranging for proper equipment and tools that are handy is the next important thing you will need, to style your dog.
Method of cutting
- You can begin from neck moving backward. Complete one side fully and then move to another side. Take your time and go slow.
- Don’t rush and calm your dog as you trim along his body.
- Keep on touching your dog softly to trim area like paws, belly, and legs.
- Keep clipping his hair. This will avoid making lines on your pooch’s body.
- Also, keep on brushing to avoid any mistakes and pain.
Tips to properly cut
Every dog has its own needs and requirements that completely depend on its coat. So it is good to check them. Here are few tips you can keep in mind:
- Start with a sharp, guard blade that pulls out few hair. You can always switch back to shorter one.
- Clip in the direction of hair growth, not against them otherwise they can pinch your pet and can even cut their skin.
- Don’t apply force on clippers while clipping. Move slightly along the blades. Pressure on the clipper can burn their sensitive skin like face, groin, and stomach.
- Don’t use metal parts as they get hot and can burn. Always use plastic guards when clipping your pet’s hair.
- Be more specific and careful when clipping sensitive skin.
- Grip your dog’s skin while clipping and hold the clipper in another hand. This will be more helpful for the dogs with loose skin and hair.
- Also, trim your pet’s feet. Many dogs have hair on their paws and bottom of feet. Grab small clippers or scissors to cut them.
- Do not clip tangled or mat hair.
Cutting your dog’s hair at home is a very big move, and dog owners shouldn’t take it lightly. Remember that even small mistakes can hurt your dog and make the styling experience a painful one.
If you enjoyed reading this post, tell me about it, so I can create more guides like this for you.