Choosing a name for your furry friend can be harder than you think. Inspiration often seems to desert us when we need it the most! But like always, we can turn to Hollywood for some much needed inspiration. To make your choice simpler, let us take a look at dog names inspired from Disney movies, Harry Potter and even mythological movies!
Marley and Me written by John Grogan is a cute and funny tale of the world’s worst dog. The word Marley also has a nice meaning- “pleasant myrrh wood’. We all know Bob Marley so Marley can also be one of the top dog names inspired by music.
The movie Balto is based on the real life story of wolfdog hybrid who saved lives of children during the diphtheria epidemic.
Cujo is a killer St. Bernard created by Stephen King which later inspired a movie of the same name.
Want dog names from Disney movies? Then try the ones from 101 Dalmatians: Pongo, Perdita, Patch, Lucky, Penny, Freckles, Pepper, Jolly, Dot, Blob, Yoyo, Sport, Blob, Blackie, Whitie, Dipper, Spanky, Tiger, Smokey, Puddles, Nosey, Sleepy, Speedy, Swifty, Bulgey, Pokey are some other dog names from literature and Disney movies.
Dodger is the carefree charismatic mongrel from Oliver and Company, released in 1988 by Walt Disney Pictures. The Disney animated film is inspired by the classic novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Other dog names from this Pixar movie is Tito (Chihuahua), Rita (Afghan Hound), Einstein (Great Dane), Francis (Bulldog) and Georgette (poodle).
This dog name is based on the dog from Turner and Hooch, starring Tom Hanks.
This is a 1974 film based on a golden mixed breed.
This is a famous dog name inspired by music as well as a movie by the same name. The character in the film is a St. Bernard’s dog.
Looking for Pixar dog names? You will love this one inspired by the Disney pixar animated film of the same name.
This famous Akita dog is known for his loyalty to his master immortalized in the film Hachi starring Richard Gere.
Lassie needs no introduction- this is a rough collie which inspired a series of 7 films.
The film Marmaduke is based on a comic strip about a funny Great Dane.
This is a dog name based on the pug nosed puppy from Milo and Otis.
Shadow is a great name for a Golden Retriever and is based on the character from Homeward Bound, a 1993 American Adventure comedy based on the novel by the same name.
Skip is a Jack Russell Terrier from My Dog Skip.
Because of Winn Dixie is a movie filmed on Picardy Shepherd, a rare French breed.
Dog Names Inspired by Harry Potter Characters
- Albus- Albus means white. This is a great name for a white dog.
- Amos- This is a prophet in the Bible.
- Arabella-This might very well become one of the famous female dog names. It has a great meaning- “heroine”, “eagle”or “prayerful” are some of the meanings of this name.
- Argus- Argus means bright and watchful.
- Ariana- This is a great female dog name with Welsh origin meaning ‘silver’.
- Cedric- Cedric has a great meaning-it is olde English for Chief or war-leader.
- Colin- Young child or victor. Also means ‘young dog’ and the character in Harry Potter is actually devoted to Harry just like a dog! This is indeed an apt name for pet parents looking for dog names inspired by Harry Potter.
- Dobby- Dobby is a great character from these well loved books. There are several meanings to it but the ones we like are “durable” and “natural looking”.
- Draco- Draco is a negative character from Harry Potter. The meaning of the name is “dragon” and in Romanian, it means devil.
- Errol- Errol is wanderer- hmm not sure you’d want to name your dog that?
- Evans- Evans is a wonderful Celtic name from Harry Potter- it means ‘young warrior’.
- Filius- Filius means ‘son’ in Latin
- Fluffy/Cerberus- This is a dog name inspired by mythology. It is the three headed dog that Orpheus got past by lulling it to sleep with his music.
- Godric- This name means ‘power of God’
- Greyback- Like silver back gorillas, grey back means a dominant male in a pack.
- Hagrid-Half giant
- Ginny/Ginerva stands for Juniper
- Hugo- Intelligent
- Inigo- This is a great name for a male dog- meaning ardent or fiery
- James – James is a popular name for humans in UK. Many kings were named James. Six American presidents have borne this name!
- Krum- Means curved
- Lily- Purity and innocence
- Ludo- This name means Latin for “I play”.
- Luna-means the moon
- Lupin-derived from wolf
- Marvolo- Derived from marvelous and Latin volo stands for I wish
- Merope- bee eater, eloquent and mortal
- Minerva- This Greek mythology inspired name has many meanings. It represents women associated with war, handicraft and wisdom
- Padfoot- large black dog
- Myrtle-an evergreen shrub that is often overlooked because of its plainness
- Norris- a busybody
- Nimbus-a rain or storm cloud
- Pansy-a flower and also derived from French pensee which means “thought”
- Pius- means piety or pious
- Prongs- part of an antler
- Rufus- Latin for red haired
- Sirius- a star
- Viktor-victorious one
- Wulfric- loner
Celebrity inspired Pet Names
Here is a great place to find celebrity inspired pet names for your dogs.
Need some more inspirational names for your dog/s? Check out these articles.