A worldwide favourite, Golden Retrievers are known for their calm, caring personality, and they fit well into families because of their patience with children. Its name was formed by combining two major attributes. The “Golden” was given as a description based on their naturally radiant top coat, and “Retriever” was coined when it was noted that they were good at picking up produce that was shot by hunters. Fast forward to the 21st century and Golden Retrievers are rarely used for hunting activities, instead, they can be found as companions to the average family.
Lauded as the 5th most loved dog in the USA, this pup is in high demand. Adopting may be a breeze, but finding a name that is unique for your Golden Retriever may be just a little more difficult. Ready to name your Golden Retriever? Here are 50 names that will be perfect for your new member of the family.
Popular Golden Retriever Names
The most popular and well known Golden Retriever names are normally based on their shiny golden coat, or the fluffiness of their bodies. These names tend to describe the physical characteristics of your dog, and will be great for naming them right away.
- Ginger – Brown but spicy, this name describes the brown outer coat of your Retriever, but also hints at their personality.
- Goldie – It may be a bit cliche and overused, but Goldie is a classic name for the Retriever, hence its popularity.
- Sunset – Doesn’t the coat of your dog remind you of one of the best sunsets you’ve ever seen? This makes it a perfect name for your dog.
- Fluff – There fluffy and dense, long haired coat makes this name a bit obvious, but it also a classic name for your Retriever.
- Brownie – While technically, they range from being a bit fawn to deep browns, a darker coloured Retriever would be a perfect Brownie.
- Browning- Similar to its counterpart above, this name is normally used for darker coloured Retrievers.
- Blondie – This name is ideal if your dog is more fawn coloured.
- Peach – Not just a fruit, but an adorable name for your Retriever.
- Coco – One or the most popular names, it speaks to the friendly and amicable personality of the Golden Retriever.
- Rusty – This name has been popularized in many movies, and has become a go to for naming dogs.
Female Golden Retriever Names
Personality is a great contributor in naming your dog, but gender opens up a whole different spectrum of the names that you probably haven’t even thought much about. Female Retrievers are generally smaller than the males, and stand at 21.5 – 22 inches tall. They weigh on average 5 – 65 pounds. Here are 10 female names that are most suitable for your Golden Retriever.
- Daisy – Floral and feminine, this is an ideal and girly name for your new member of the family.
- Sonny – Taken from the sun, this name reflects the brown coat of your Retriever and its shine and lustre.
- Elle – Does it get better than this? Elle is an ideal name for your female pup.
- Princess – Any dog that comes into your home is royalty, so why not call her by that title? Princess is perfect for this big adventurer.
- Copper – Used to reflect their bright and shiny coat, this name also reflects their active and playful personality.
- Lola – Because, why not?
- Star – Made to highlight their brilliance and bright mind, Star is perfect to highlight how dynamic your new pup is.
- Summer – This whole season represents happiness and femininity, and which makes it the utter best name for your Golden Retriever.
- Chloe – Flirty, feminine and fabulous, your pup will love this new name.
- Bella – Beauty at its finest, Bella represents the uniqueness of a Golden Retriever, with a side of feminine prowess.
Male Golden Retriever Names
Athletic, strong and overall manly, these dogs need names that speak to their strength and masculinity, and differentiates them from the pack. Male Retrievers normally stand tall, measuring from 23 – 24 inches in height, and weighing 65 – 75 pounds. With such a huge size, here are 10 names that will be the most suitable for your male Golden Retriever.
- Blu – The colour blue speaks to everything manly, so this makes the ideal name for our new dog.
- Duke – Sounds royal doesn’t it ? Let your dog know he is royal in your eyes with this heroic title.
- Thunder – A body that big has to pack some punch, this name speaks to the power of your Retriever as he walks around.
- Thor – God of Thunder. Strong, valiant and great for our Retriever.
- Charlie – Popularised by many movies and tv shows, this name has become ideal for the family dog.
- King – Add this royal dog to your royal family with a royal name, or perhaps title would be more fitting.
- Bear – With their big, thick, fluffy bodies, they almost look like bears, so call him just that.
- Samson – Biblically lauded as a strong, powerful protector, this name is ideal for your dog, though Retrievers are naturally too amicable to be any guard dogs.
- Teddy – Fluffy like a teddy bear, this name is ideal for your dog especially if there are children in your home.
- Zeus – Strong, powerful and athletic, this name makes the traits of your Retriever very clear.
Other Names for your Golden Retriever
Still haven’t found the ideal name for your dog? Here are some more options to choose from.
Golden Retrievers are every family’s dream dog, but naming them can get difficult. It’s important to find a name that not only works based on physical characteristics of your dog, but also suit their unique personality. These list of names should help you find the most suitable one for your new pup, so go ahead and find the one that’s best for both you and your pup.