Want a dog that is loyal, cute, loving, obedient and intelligent? Then the Golden Retriever may be the best pet for you. Search for golden retriever for sale and chances are you will find many in your area. After all; this breed is highly popular as there are many perks to owning one. So let us consider some golden retriever facts and everything else you need to know about this beautiful dog breed.
Golden retriever facts
- The word retriever means to bring back. These dogs were originally trained to accompany people on hunts. Today, they are considered a loyal, obedient family dog and some are even trained as service or companion dogs.
- Golden retrievers have an interesting history which dates back to the Scottish Highlands in the early 19th However, the Kennel Club accepted this breed for registration only in 1903.
- Retrievers love water.
- This breed is considered to be one of the top 10 most popular dog breeds today.
- They are easy to train.
- When it comes to relationships, Goldens, with their loving, patient personality as well as affectionate nature, make the perfect companion for children and elderly. Their tranquil nature is a delight no matter where they go.
- They love exercise but also do not mind indoor activities.
- Some famous Goldens include Liberty (President Ford’s pet), Shadow from the movie Homeward Bound, Buddy from Air Bud and Comet from TV’s Full House.
Golden retriever temperament
As stated before, this mild mannered and gentle breed makes an excellent family pet. They bond easily with kids, strangers and even other pets (including cats) and are easy to train. Goldens are also obedient, friendly, intelligent and athletic. In fact; it is their temperament that has drawn so many people to this breed. They have very high energy so you must exercise your pet every day. The more exercise and mental stimulation your Golden gets; the happier he will be.
Golden retriever colors
Goldens are known for their long, silky and thick coat which can range from golden, light golden and dark golden colors.
Cost: Golden retriever price and monthly expenses
The initial purchase price of a Golden varies from breeder to breeder. Expect to pay at least $250-$1000 for champion caliber parents. If budget is a concern, try buying a golden retriever puppy instead of an older dog. Additional costs of raising a Golden can be split as follows:
- Food- At least $40-$100 per month
- Treats-$2-25 per month
- Toys-$50 one time (unless you want to give your energetic pet some variety in which case you would spend each month)
- Vet visit- At least $50 per visit
- Parasite control- At least $10 monthly.
- Grooming- $30-$100 monthly
Average monthly total cost, without pet boarding, could go between $60 and $220. These are just estimates and the actuals are based on your pet’s health, how many toys/treats you buy him each month. Monthly supplements and vitamins, emergency vet visits and chronic allergies can raise these costs significantly.
Good quality dry or wet dog food is best for your retriever. Feed your pet based on your vet or breeder’s recommendation. Many breed specific food brands are also available. You need to feed your pet according to its height, weight and age. A fully grown Golden consumes up to half a kilogram of dry dog food or little over half a kilogram of semi most food. One meal per day is fine but some owners feed two meals per day. Make sure your dog gets plenty of fresh drinking water every day.
You will need to brush and comb your pet every day. This will help keep his fur free from debris, parasites and knots or mats. Avoid bathing your pet too frequently. Chew toys and rawhide bones will help you keep your pet’s teeth in good condition.
Common health problems and ways to prevent them
- Hot spots– These are areas on his skin which your Golden will repeatedly chew or lick. Clip the hair in the region and apply a bit of apple cider vinegar or sulfadene to prevent hot spots.
- Allergies– This breed is highly predisposed to allergies. You may have to eliminate food items one by one to rule out each allergen. For itchy skin, shampoos, sprays and dips can soothe and prevent further irritation. Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids can also prevent further inflammation.
- Distemper virus – This is characterized by fever, vomiting, diarrhea and cough. A vaccine can help prevent it.
- Heartworms– These can cause heart failure due to poor blood circulation. Preventative medicine can be used on regular basis.
- Heat strokes– On hot summer days keep your Golden indoors to prevent heat strokes. Never leave him in direct sunlight. Make sure he drinks plenty of water.
Need inputs for naming your Golden retriever puppy? Visit this section here for 50 fantastic ideas.