Around the world, pet parents have a wonderful selection of personal names to choose from for their beloved pets. Rising in popularity are Irish names and Celtic or Gaelic names as well. These names somehow never seem to go out of fashion. Even names like Adam and Aaron have Irish counterparts and the Vikings have left some more awesome names like Lochlain, Iomhar etc which can suit our canine pals. Let us take a look at some creative Irish dog names to name your new pet.
Irish dog names from A
- Aaron- Brother of Moses. Experts believe that it has an Egyptian or Hebrew origin.
- Ailinn- This is a popular Irish girl dog name for a gentle breed.
- Aoife- This is a top of the list Irish girl dog name today. It means beauty in Gaelic. Aoife was a warrior princess.
Irish dog names from B
- Baile-This is a good name for dog in Irish Gaelic. Baile was the star crossed lover in love with princess Ailinn.
- Balar-This is a badass Irish dog name as it belongs to a tyrant from mythology. Balar of the Evil Eye could destroy armies with a single glance.
- Bebo-Beautiful and vivacious Queen of Iubhdan, King of Fairyland.
- Brady-Derived from Irish surnames like MacBradaigh or O Bradaigh meaning spirited, broad.
Irish dog names from C
- Cara- A cool name for your tough female dog, it means cherished and beloved. Kara has Celtic or Latin origin.
- Cian-Good name for male dog in Irish Gaelic, it means ancient one. It is pronounced KEEN or KEE-AN
- Conan-Celtic dog name for male puppy, it means high and wise or little wolf.
- Cliona- In Irish mythology, Cliona is the Queen of the Banshees and originates from clodhna meaning shapely.
Irish dog names from D
- Darragh- This is a unisex Irish name which is rising in popularity. Derived from ‘daire’, it means oak or wood.
- Deirdre-This is an olde Gaelic name meaning daughter. Deirdre was the unfortunate Irish legend who died heartbroken after being forced to marry a man she did not love who killed her lover, Naoise.
- Donal- This Irish dog name means Great Chief.
Irish dog name from E
- Eanna- Badass Celtic-Gaelic girl dog name which means bird like.
- Emer-This was the Irish legend known to possess many gifts of mankind including beauty, speech, voice, wisdom and chastity.
Irish dog names from F
- Fiona- Who can forget the ogre princess from Shrek? It originates from Gaelic fionn meaning fair one.
- Flann-Ideal name for a red haired dog. It has Gaelic roots.
Irish dog names from G
- Grian-Irish dog name meaning Sun
Irish dog names from H
- Haley- Comes from Irish surname Healy meaning clearing or meadow.
- Heber- Irish masculine name which could have Hebrew roots. It has many meanings like associate or modern meaning as hot or good looking.
Irish dog names from I
- Ide-Irish word for thirst of goodness or knowledge
- Irial-This name has Irish, Celtic origin meaning Elf
- Ian-Gracious, Gift from God
- Imar-Archer or Bow warrior
Irish dog names from J
- Jed- This male dog name means hand or friend of God.
- Jamie- Cool boy dog name meaning one who supplants
- Jovir- Meaning victorious, strong or brave
- Jenny- cool Irish girl dog name meaning white spirit, or wave or fair one.
Irish dog names from K
- Kerry- This is a Gaelic name. Kerry is a county in Ireland and also means dusky or dark.
- Kace-Also Kayse-meaning courageous, vigilant and always on watch. Now that is a cool Irish name for dogs!
Irish dog names from L
- Liam-Originates from the Irish name Uiliam. Many celebs are named Liam. It means helmet of will or determined protector.
- Lany- This Irish name means servant.
Irish dog names from M
- Mac- Short for Mackenzie. This Celtic name means ‘son of..’
- Mago-Means great one.
- Mia- Mia also has Italian, Scandinavian German and Dutch origins. It means mine or ever smiling.
Irish dog names from N
- Naal- Irish word for ‘name of a saint’
- Niall- Gaelic name meaning Champion.
- Nessa-While this is an Irish feminine name, it also has Greek roots. The meaning of Nessa is poor, pure or chaste.
- Neis- derived from MacNois or Naos meaning son of Angus. It also means one and only choice.
Irish dog names from O
- Oisin- As per Irish legend, Oisin was a warrior hero and poet.
- Onora-Gaelic word for Honor
- Orrin/Orin- Irish word for derived from otter or dark haired one.
Irish dog names from P
- Pol- Latin meaning of Pol is small
Irish dog names from Q
- Quin/Quinn- Irish name meaning intelligent
- Queran- dark
- Quillan-cub, from the woods
- Quinlan-Gaelic word for shaped as a well
Irish dog names from R
- Rian- One of the most popular of all Irish names for male dogs, this means King, kingly or Little Ruler
- Roan-This is derived from the popular Scottish Gaelic dog names Rowan meaning little red haired one.
- Rory- Has Scottish Gaelic origins and means red-haired, rusty, king.
- Ruan-Irish and Scottish ruane meaning color of horses.
Irish dog names from S
- Sabia-Irish name for girl dog meaning sweet one.
- Saoirse-Popular Irish female name meaning freedom.
- Sean-Irish God is gracious
- Sibeal-female name meaning Prophetess
- Sinead-God is gracious
- Siobhan-Irish for God is gracious
- Stiana-This is an Irish male name but it has Greek roots. It has the same meaning as Stephen ‘crown’.
Irish dog names from T
- Tadhg-Scottish Gaelic name meaning poet or philosopher.
- Tomas-Gaelic word for twin
- Treasa-Irish word for strong
Irish dog names from U
- Una-This has Latin roots meaning ‘one’ or ‘lamb’.
- Ultan- Irish male name meaning man from Ulster
- Unkoo- Fierce hound
Irish dog names from V
- Vaughn- Derived from Welsh word bychan meaning small
Irish dog names from W
- Whelan- derived from Irish surname Faolain meaning grandson. Also means joyful or wolf
Irish dog names from Y
- Ywain- Celtic for Great King or Great Warrior.
Check out other cool dog names here.