So you’ve finally gotten your new pup. Now comes the hard part. One of the most difficult tasks when it comes to raising a dog can begin as early as you get your new pup. Deciding on a name for your dog is no easy task, especially if you had not given it much thought before. One of the best ways to start the process is to not rush in, but instead, to take your time and decide on some of the major characteristics you would want your pup to have. There are several factors that could lead to you coming up with the best name for your pet, and if you have no luck, we have a number of cool dog names that are sure to work for any dog on the list below. But before we jump into some of the cool dog names for your new pet, here are some characteristics that will help in making your decision a little easier.
Cool Dog Names Based on Physical Appearance and Traits
One of the most common ways of finding a name for your dog is by simply taking a look at their physical characteristics. Does your pup have any distinct markings or unique colours? Is your dog more fluffy and soft than others in his breed? Does your dog have a distinct eye colour that makes him stand out? Questions like these tend to give you a deeper look at your pet, allowing you to come up with a name that is both unique and ideal for your new dog. Here are a couple of examples:
- Snowman – This name would be ideal in describing a dog that has a predominantly light coloured fur such as white or cream. It may also be used if your pup has any distinct markings that may be white or light coloured, making him stand out. Either way, Snowman is a great name that is sure to turn heads wherever you go.
- Goldie – Mainly used for Golden Retrievers or dogs with golden brown fur, this name is great for your new pup. It may even be used for dogs with very distinct and piercing eye colours. Whatever reason you choose, the name Goldie is clearly a name for champions.
- Velvet – If your dog is very soft and fluffy, than this name may be perfect for him. Velvet is the perfect name for any pup whose fur is extremely long or very soft, such as Poodles and Pomeranians, and may be the name you’ve been searching for all along.
- Rocky – Alternatively, if your pup comes from a breed with short, thick and stubbly fur that is very coarse to the touch, the name Rocky would be a perfect fit. Though wildly unoriginal, this name will not only speak to the dog’s fur, but will bring memories of strength and resilience to everyone who hears it.
- Blacks – If your new pup is predominantly black, or has a dark coloured fur, than this should be a great name for him. Not only is Blacks a unique and plain name for your pup, but it also adds a bit of mystery and will surely keep people wondering about your dog. Ultimately, it is a perfect addition to the cool dog names you should consider for your new pup.
Cool Dog Names Based on Character Traits and Behavior
Even if you’ve just had your new pup for a couple of days, there will be some character and behavioral traits that will stand out to you. A new dog may tend to stay close to you constantly, or they may enjoy lots of play and exercise, or they may simply love to sleep a lot. Whichever character trait you can identify may be a pointer in helping you to find the perfect name for your new pup, but you will not identify these traits unless you pay attention. After a couple days, it may just come to you, but if not, here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Droopy – If your dog loves to sleep, cuddle or prefers any activity that doesn’t require moving, this may be the best and most ideal name for him. This name was also popularised by an old animated character, which makes it very well known. Either way, if your pup is a sleepy pup, just call him Droopy.
- Sunshine – Ideally for a female pup, this name speaks to a pup who’s entire character lights up your day. Some dogs have an aura that helps to brighten up their environment, and if this sounds anything like your new pup, this cool but peculiar name will surely be perfect.
- Champ – For dogs that are more on the sporty and athletic side, this name speaks not only to their character, but also to their superb athletic prowess. This name is best for a male pup, especially one that competes in different activities. For strong, sporty and athletic dogs, Champ is the name.
- Lady – For the poised, elegant and slightly bourgeoise type dog, Lady fits the character perfectly. This name speaks to the elegance of the demeanour of your pup and their classy attitude and appearance. For a dog that’s treated and behaves like royalty, “Lady” fits the character best.
- Hercules – Mainly ideal for dogs that are large in built and physical attributes, the name “Hercules” highlights the strength of your pup, whether physically or mentally. It is perfect for all strong and big dogs out there.
There are quite a number of other characteristics that you can use to help you choose a name for your pt, but ultimately, the choice is yours. Naming your pet is a milestone in this new relationship, and it should be a joyous and momentous marking of your new relationship. Whether your dog is the size of a bear or small enough to fit in a teacup, the naming process should be a period that is enjoyed, rather than being stressful or pressuring in any way. The names and factors listed above give an idea of how to name you pet, but if you’re still left unsatisfied, here’s a small list of some other cool dog names for your new pet.