The grooming tool you choose for your pet depends on your comfort level and also your pet’s fur. Most people use grooming brushes to brush their dogs, especially during the shedding season. But a grooming glove is a convenient and easy grooming tool that can help you maintain your short-haired pet’s coat. Grooming gloves are highly convenient for brushing short-haired dogs and they will definitely make shedding season far more comfortable.
In this guide, we will discuss everything there is to know about grooming gloves for short-haired pets and also some of the best, highest-rated, and coolest grooming gloves available out there.
Features and benefits of grooming gloves
- Grooming gloves are must-have grooming tools for brushing short-haired pets. They do the task of catching stray hairs and parasites like ticks and fleas as you pet your doggy. One can also use them for medium and long-haired dogs although, in a dog with very long hair, the bristles of the gloves may not reach all the way to the skin.
- You can use grooming gloves on rabbits, cats, horses, and other family pets. Naturally, it is best to use a separate grooming glove for each pet. You can buy different colored gloves for the number of pets you have. They can also be safely used to groom kittens and puppies.
- Grooming gloves have short bristles that are perfect for brushing short-haired dog breeds like Basset hounds, Staffordshire terriers, Chihuahua, Boston terriers, Dalmatian, Labrador retrievers, Greyhounds, bulldogs and so on.
- They are extremely easy and convenient to use. All you need to do is wear the glove and brush your pet like you are petting him.
- The bristles on the grooming glove remove dead skin cells, stray hairs, as well as parasites like ticks and fleas. Moreover, they also help in stimulating blood circulation.
- Grooming gloves for pets with short hair also come with special massaging bristles and ‘bumps’ that are especially beneficial for grooming dogs having allergies, skin issues, joint aches, etc. The gloves massage the painful areas and also remove scabs, flaky skin, dandruff, ringworm, and other skin issues.
How to use a pet grooming glove
Grooming helps foster bonding between a pet and its owner. When you brush and groom your dog, you are nurturing him on the most basic level. You are doing something for him that he cannot do for himself. You are actually doing something for him that a parent dog would. Thus, regular, attentive grooming has a powerfully beneficial effect on the relationship you have with your pet. Set aside regular time for grooming and get your pet used to grooming from an early age.
- Make sure your pet is comfortable when you groom him. Ideally, he should have been walked and fed. Grooming is best done two to three times a week or daily during the shedding season.
- Sing and talk to your pet while grooming. This is especially beneficial for young pets.
- Wear the glove and start rubbing it along the pet’s back. Use gentle pressure to stroke the hair along the dog’s spine. You can pet your dog and stroke its chin or scratch under its ears with the other hand.
- Stroke until you have covered the back completely. Use a plastic bag or trash can to collect the stray hair.
- Next, get your pet to roll on its back. Stroke the glove along your pet’s tummy. Use gentle motion. Stroke till your pet gets antsy. Cover the paws, neck, and head.
- Repeat the procedure daily or as needed. Do not rush or scold your pet. Be gentle and calm. Never groom your pet when you are in a hurry or in a bad mood. Your pet can easily latch on to your mood and that can spoil the experience for him.
- Encourage and praise your dog during the grooming process.
- You can also use the glove while bathing your pet.
Best dog grooming glove for short-haired dogs
Delomo de-shedding glove/mitt for effective pet hair removal
Delomo de-shedding dog grooming glove has nearly 255 silicone tips that effectively remove dead skin cells, stray hairs, ticks, fleas, and also massages your pet. It is ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and other domesticated animals. The silicone tips are gentle on the dog’s skin and are also safe for human skin.
- Easy to use
- Cleans pet’s fur and prevents hair all over the place.
- Easy to remove dead hair off the brush
- Value for money
- Available in blue and red colors
- You get a pair of gloves and not just a single glove.
- Thousands of positive reviews.
- Too small for some hand sizes
- Hair trapped inside the bristles is sometimes very difficult to remove.
- May not work on all breeds.
Kennels & Kats pet grooming and de-shedding gloves for easy, mess-free pet grooming
If you are tired of finding pet hair all over your cushions, furniture, bed, and clothes, then it is time to invest in the best dog grooming glove for short-haired dogs. Kennels & Kats short-haired dog grooming glove efficiently removes the shed hairs and your pet will love the bonding time spent with you. Have a cleaner home with the Kennels & Kats grooming glove for dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, etc.
- Professionally packaged gloves that come with a free gift of a shower brush.
- Ideal for gifting pet lovers
- Each glove comes with a Velcro band that you can use to tighten or loosen the glove
- Easy to use, clean, and remove trapped hair.
- Even scared and timid dogs that hate being brushed love the Kennels & Kats dog grooming brush.
- Value for money.
- May not work on all breeds
- Difficult to remove stuck hair from the bristles.
H Handson Pet grooming gloves for dogs, cats, and horses
H Handson’s pet grooming glove comes in different colors and sizes. You get two gloves per set and each one can be used for removing stray hair, massaging, grooming, and even bathing the pets. H Handson gloves are non-abrasive and flexible and help distribute the natural oils in the coat. The nylon material is great for use wet or dry.
- Very easy to use and clean
- Value for money
- Static charges cats – loud zaps can scare the animals
- Fur tends to fly everywhere
- Silicone nubs fall off after a few days
If you have a short-haired pet, a pet grooming glove is a worthwhile investment to make. The glove can be used for regular grooming and especially during shedding season to reduce stray hairs on furniture and clothing. Moreover, you can also use the glove during bath time to massage your pet. The glove traps wet or dry hair and can really ease your cleaning job. It is also a great way to bond with your fur buddy!