The Chesapeake Bay Retriever was specially developed to hunt waterfowl on land and in water. This hunting breed was even known to break ice during its retrieves! Characterized by powerful hind quarters, this breed is a great swimmer. Here are some important facts about the Chesapeake Bay Retriever along with its temperament, size, and price.
Interesting facts about the Chesapeake Bay retriever
- These dogs love a game of fetch and in particular, enjoy swimming. Their outer coat has an oily waxy layer which repels water and dries quickly.
- President Theodore Roosevelt owned a Chesapeake Bay retriever named Sailor Boy.
Where to get Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppies for sale?
A well trained young Chessie will make a great family pet. An adult dog, on the other hand, might have already formed its opinion about humans. Before you go out looking for Chesapeake Bay retriever puppies on sale, you must know that the ‘Chessie’ isn’t for everyone. This is a rough and tough breed and you simply must not compare it to small house pets. You need to allot time, space and energy to this dog so he gets to expend all the energy he has. Visit the American Chesapeake Club’s official website to find reputed and reliable breeders near you. A good breeder will pay attention to the bloodlines and will be willing to provide papers regarding registration and health documents. Make sure you also meet the pup’s parents so you can choose ones with mild temperament.
Chesapeake Bay retriever price
The average cost of American Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppies is between $700 and $900.
Size and color
Chesapeake Bay retriever size
Height-Males usually measure up to 23 to 26 inches whereas females between 21 and 24 inches. Weight-males ideally weigh 65 to 80 lbs and females 55 and 70lbs.
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Colors
This breed comes in various interesting colors like deadgrass (tan), light deadgrass, light brown, brown or dark brown and sedge, tan or Ash.
Consistent training from an early age is important for this breed otherwise they tend to become bossy with their owners. It is also a good idea to socialize these pets with people and other dogs.
- This is not a cookie cutter breed-each dog will have unique personality. Specialized training is a must if you want to see a well developed, strong, and obedient dog having a loving personality with necessary guarding skills.
- Young puppies are playful frisky youngsters.
- Viciousness is not usually a characteristic of this breed.
- As stated above, when selecting Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppies, closely inspect the parents. Avoid pups whose sire or dam appears quarrelsome or belligerent.
- Almost all Chessies love to retrieve. Do not be surprised if they bring back items you did not ask for!
- The American Chessie is a rough and tough yet fun loving dog.
- This dog breed will rarely start a fight but will be happy to finish one; they are dominant more than aggressive.
- When you treat them with love, patience and kindness, loyalty will be your reward.
- Chessies make wonderful natural watch dogs.
Dogs do not need as much bathing as humans and the Chesapeake Bay retriever requires even less than most dogs. Occasional bathing can give your pet the healthy, shiny coat he deserves. The good thing is that these dogs love the water, so bath times won’t be too much of a hassle. Always squeeze out excess water from the coat after bathing and dry with a heavy towel. Never let your pet outdoors with wet coat, especially in winters. You can use dry bathing products between bath times to keep your retriever smelling fresh. Also clean the ears using special powder or liquids. Never try to clean deep inside the ears. Brush your pet’s teeth once a week and also clip his nails every few months.
Chesapeake Bay retriever shedding
The Chesapeake Bay retriever has a double insulating coat and it sheds twice a year. Twice weekly brushing during periods of heavy shedding will keep dead hair under control.